Ecology Club gets Earth festivities started at Seton Hall

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="476"] Sheng Xi Chen/Staff Photographer[/caption] Warm temperatures led students to fill the green as the Ecology Club kicked off Earth Week with an opening ceremony on April 18. The Ecology Club celebrates its second annual Eco-Fest event in honor of Earth Day on Friday, April 22. Dr. Judith Stark, director of the Environmental Studies Program, emphasized the importance of raising awareness and addressing climate change. At the April 18 event on the University Green at 11:30 a.m., the Ecology club had a table with environmental information and a sign-up sheet to get students involved with the club. A gaming table was also set up next to their club table to quiz students on how much they knew about the environment. “It is the biggest challenge for the entire planet which involves every other environmental problem that we can name,” Stark said, referring to climate change. Food trucks, the Gentlemen of the Hall, Pretty S#arp and other student organizations joined the environmental club in celebrating Eco-Fest. The week also includes events like the Rainforest Alliance Coffee and Chocolate Tasting on Wednesday, and the Earth Day celebration in the campus garden on Friday. Carolina Gomez-Bello, senior co-president of the Ecology Club and environmental studies major, said “We have been able to spread a lot of awareness on campus as a club.” Gomez-Bello added, “It started off that not many people knew we existed and over the last two years we really have created a great presence on campus.” Stark said she hopes these events show the community how much support is needed to resolve the problem of climate change. “No matter what a student is studying, you can connect it to the environment,” Stark said. “We hope to make a commitment in our personal lives and others’ that are set out to make a difference.”