Fitness fads prove their strength

[caption id="attachment_14147" align="alignnone" width="300"]Katherine Boland/Staff Photographer Katherine Boland/Staff Photographer[/caption] Exercise fads come and go as people discover new ways to achieve their fitness goals. The success of these fads varies as recent ones include a range of exercises, diets and products. Waist training has become popular because of celebrities like the Kardashians and Jessica Alba endorsing such products. Waist trainers, which are similar to corsets, are bands of fabric used to instantly slim and shape the torso. Jayda Yizar, a freshman dual-degree biology and athletic training major, said she has experience with waist training. “I’ve been waist training on and off since September of 2014. I’ve always had a slim waist, a big butt, but I wanted a flat tummy to match,” Yizar said. Despite some positive results, Yizar added that there are some disadvantages to waist training as well. “I have seen improvements in my body, but there are some downsides. I can go about two weeks faithfully wearing it for about 10 hours a day, but then it starts to get uncomfortable, itchy and irritable,” Yizar said. Yizar added that wearing the waist trainer helped, but did not accomplish all of her fitness goals. “I learned that wearing a waist trainer doesn’t do all the work and I’ve gotten better results by eating healthier and going to the gym multiple times a week,” she explained. Other trends include yoga and, recently, hot yoga has become popular. Hot yoga is when the room is raised to a temperature above 100 degrees with a humidity of 40 percent, according to the Mayo Clinic website. Hot yoga is designed to tire your muscles and raise your heart rate. A helpful tool for people trying to reach their fitness goals is the FitBit, a watch accessory designed to help you eat healthier, stay active and sleep better. Since it manages your physical activity, it will motivate you to stay active throughout the day and challenge you to improve each day. Another fitness trend that is popular on campus is group classes. The Walsh Gym offers classes like Zumba, Body Pump and Body Combat. Devyn Johnson, a freshman international relations and diplomacy major, attends Pilates classes. “I used to do Pilates at home with my family and I thought trying a class would help me to get fit, Johnson said. Group classes emphasize how you are working out with others in a supportive and motivational environment. Johnson explained, “I think working out in a class forces you to stay focused and improve your stances. You watch everyone else and want to get better just by seeing others try harder. Also working it into your schedule is easier because it’s just an hour. For me anything that’s already scheduled keeps me consistent in attendance.” Johnson said she feels the benefits of consistently going to Pilates class. “I feel healthier and more fit. It’s even inspired me to go to the gym by myself and work out in addition to attending class. I just feel better all around. It’s a great stress reliever,” Johnson added. She also plans on staying a regular attendee of group classes, citing stress as a major influence. “I know college is just going to get more stressful so having this one free hour where I can focus on my personal health is definitely necessary,” she said. These are just a few of the exercise fads which have been attempted by students. However, keep in mind what works for you and makes you feel the best, is based on your time and fitness limitations, and what you enjoy the most. Not every fitness fad will work for everyone, so the key is to research and experiment with these fitness plans to see which one is the most beneficial for you. Sarah Auerbach can be reached at sarah.auerbach@student.shu.edu.