Prendergast pitches Pirates past NJIT in home opener

[caption id="attachment_13575" align="alignnone" width="589"]Tristan Miller/Staff Photographer Tristan Miller/Staff Photographer[/caption]  

The Seton Hall baseball team took down NJIT, 9-2, on Wednesday in the team’s first game at Owen T. Carroll Field. If the victory is any indication of how effective they’ll be there, the Pirates look primed to be dan- gerous playing at home. The Pirates went three up, three down in the first inning. Leading off at the top of the second was junior first baseman Mikael-Ali Mogues, who started the Hall’s breakout seven-run inning. “We were excited to come play for the home fans and put up a lot of runs,” Mogues said. “Our offense is built for runs.” The Pirates delivered that high-powered offense against NJIT, and Mogues was the catalyst with a crucial hit and great base-running.
“That’s just an instinct for me now,” he said. “There is no need to dog it down the line. Anything can happen.” Mogues finished the game 2-for-3 with a double, including an RBI and a run. The rest of the inning put the entire hitting rotation through once, until Mogues was up to bat again and nailed a strong double to secure a RBI.
The junior leadership continued to shine behind Joe Poduslenko’s two RBI and two runs while going 2-for-3. “Offensively, we want to work as a lineup and everybody has their job to do,” head coach Mike Sheppard said. “And it’s nice to see that the juniors had a great game stepping up.”
Senior outfielder Derek Jenkins contributed further with two runs and two RBI to go along with a stolen base.
Zach Prendergast did not allow a run in his seven innings of pitching, and held NJIT to only four hits. The junior pitcher also earned three strikeouts and two walks. Wednesday’s victory notched his second win this year. Seton Hall rises to a .500 record of 6-6 after the win, and fans should expect big things from the Pirates at home after this decisive victory. “I know these guys really like the fact that we had a packed house,” Sheppard said. “That’s the kind of atmosphere we want to play in.” The Pirates begin a four-game series on the road this Friday, March 11 when they travel to Emerson, Ga., to take on Savannah State at 5 p.m.   Kyle Kasharian can be reached at kyle.kasharian@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @ItsKyleKash