Students talk good and bad internship experiences

While acquiring an internship may seem difficult, making the most of it, even in the face of errands and minimum wage, can be rewarding. “Students should set objectives related to outcomes that you will produce on the job, so you can augment your resume, LinkedIn profile, and portfolio,” said Melissa May, a professor in the College of Communication and the Arts. “Look for substantive activities that will result in products you can show to prospective employers in the future.” When interning, both highs and disappointing lows come with the territory. An internship is all about the experience and learning the ins and outs of a particular field. “Interacting with the staff and patients on a daily basis showed me that I was going into the correct major at Seton Hall University,” said Maria Mangru, a sophomore dual degree physical therapy major who interned at SportsCare Physical Therapy. Through experience, interns are bound to meet people and form relationships. “This internship also helped me make new friends who I learned were even attending Seton Hall for graduate school for physical therapy,” Mangru added. “I was able to ask them tons of questions about graduate school and I knew that they’d be able to help me once school started.” Aside from the experience and networking, opportunities are a key part after securing an intern ship. But not all internships meet students expectations. “Since Edible Jersey is a small magazine, I did not make a lot of good connections or get to meet a lot of people,” said Julia Mullaney, a senior journalism major and intern at Edible Jersey and HGTV. However, Mullaney said she learned that going for the small publication was the better opportunity especially because people, including herself, get caught up in popular companies and want to have those names on their resumes, but they aren’t getting enough experience. Mullaney was able to get a byline in Edible Jersey magazine. “It was a lot of pressure because I had never been published in such a professional magazine,” she said. Nicole Peregrina can be reached at nicole.peregrina@student.shu.edu.