Temporary housing emptied, could become permanent option

[caption id="attachment_13264" align="alignnone" width="300"]Joey Khan Photography Joey Khan Photography[/caption] “I’m happy to have them home,” Vice President of Student Services Tracy Gottlieb said of the estimated 90 Seton Hall students who were placed in the Talbott Apartments at the Rutgers Newark campus for the fall semester and have moved out for the spring. Space became available on campus for Talbott students because of a “natural attrition,” Gottlieb said some students moved out to take time off in between semesters, some decided to transfer, and others had to leave housing because of health or financial reasons. While students say goodbye to Talbott for now, the Rutgers residence hall remains a housing option for the next academic year for Seton Hall students that have cars, according to Gottlieb. “We want to make sure that we don’t have freshmen at Talbott,” Gottlieb said. “I think that’s too hard to start a new school and have to learn how to negotiate two different campuses. So we don’t want our freshmen to be there and I’ll work very hard to make sure that all of freshmen are here on South Orange campus- students who do want to live on campus.” James Robertson, a sophomore English major, said he was placed in the Talbott Apartments for the fall semester due to submitting his housing deposit “really late” in July 2015. Robertson described the room at Talbott that he shared with three roommates as a double bedroom suite that featured a living room area with joint kitchen, which included a full sized refrigerator, sink and stove. Robertson is now residing in Cabrini Hall on Seton Hall’s campus. When asked if he would consider living in the Talbott Apartments in the future Robertson said, “I wouldn’t be completely against it but I do like the convenience of being on campus. Plus, I don’t even know if I’ll be in housing next semester, I might get an apartment with my friends.” Gottlieb added, “We’re very grateful to Rutgers for understanding our housing crunch.” Leah Carton can be reached at leah.carton@student.shu.edu.