Tennis secures first victory of spring season as Pirates serve Binghamton

Seton Hall Athletics

Seton Hall Athletics

The Seton Hall tennis team was able to capture its first victory of the spring season with a 5-2 win over Binghamton on Sunday.

Sophomore Luize Strike and senior Hannah Liljekvist were standouts for the Pirates, as each posted straight set victories and combined for a doubles victory in the No. 1 spot.

Senior Julia Keenan was also able to put up a singles victory in straight sets, taking down Alexis Tashiro of Binghamton 6-4, 7-6 (7-1). This gave Keenan an undefeated record for the weekend in singles play. Keenan and Marisa Quevedo were unable to capture a victory in doubles play, losing 7-5 to Agatha Ambrozy and Olga Ostrovetsky of Binghamton.

Freshman Anicka Fajnorova came up with a big win in singles play over Ambrozy. After winning the first set 6-3, Fajnorova faltered slightly dropping the second 4-6. Fajnorova was able to get back on track in the third set, closing out the match with a 6-1 win in the final set.

After Seton Hall and Binghamton split the first two doubles matches, it came down to the No. 3 matchup featuring senior Isabell Klingert and sophomore Katie Kim for the Pirates and Annie DiMuro and Sara Kohtz for Binghamton. Kim and Klingert were able to take the match 7-6 (8-6) to give the doubles point to Seton Hall.

This victory gives the Pirates their first win of the spring season after falling 4-3 to Navy on Saturday. Seton Hall wraps up the weekend with a singles match record of 7-5, with four of those wins coming out of the No. 1 and No. 2 positions.

The Pirates return to action next Friday on the road against NJIT before traveling to Connecticut for a showdown with Fairfield the following day. Both matches are set to begin at 3:00 p.m.

Matt Ambrose can be found on Twitter @mambrose97 or by email at