University growth starts at square one, recruitment technique advances

Seton Hall continues to attract a record number of prospective students to open houses with a total of 1,087 attendees in November 2015 compared to 806 attendees in November 2014. Alyssa McCloud, vice president of Enrollment Management, said 14,000 more prospective students from the freshman class of 2015 asked for information on Seton Hall compared to the freshman class of 2014. Mary Clare Cullum, director of undergraduate admissions, recruitment and enrollment says the Office of Admissions wants to attract new students to Seton Hall who meet SHU’s profile. These students are “interested in our majors that we have to offer, are good strong solid students and are comfortable with the Catholic mission,” Cullum said. “If they’re looking for a campus experience with a tight-knit community then those are the types of students we’re looking for.” Prospective students who contact the University for information are invited to open houses, which increases attendance at those events. Increased open house attendance and student interest in Seton Hall is made possible by “being more aggressive about our outreach and having more messages in that outreach,” McCloud said. “What’s really changed is a lot more wonderful things are going on at the University. There’s more things we can talk about and more strengths,” McCloud said. The strengths McCloud mentions include the Seton Hall and HackensackUHN partnership for the School of Medicine, and The Gerald P. Buccino ’63 Center for Leadership Development, which was named the top ranking educational leadership programs in the nation by the leadership guidance company Leadership Excellence. Malik Dye, a senior information systems major, says Seton Hall’s national recognition is one of the factors that made him decide to enroll. “Seton Hall is a well-ranked school and when researching possible majors and programs, I noticed many of them were nationally ranked,” Dye said. “I definitely wanted to have Seton Hall as a part of my background when I graduated from college.” Along with the University’s success and growth, the Admissions Office will grow with the planning and construction of a new admissions building. A timeline for the construction has yet to be released. “It would be lovely to have the space,” McCloud said. “Right now the Admissions Office is broken into two buildings- Bayley Hall and at 525 South Orange Avenue. Having the admissions building will be nice.” Leah Carton can be reached at leah.carton@student.shu.edu.