Paper recounts moments of historic change

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="163"] shu.edu[/caption] This semester The Setonian has covered the stories of many major events unfolding on campus. Whether it is the new Medical School or the College of Communication and the Arts, it has become apparent that this year is history in the making for Seton Hall. The newspaper can act as a historical record for the University. We often check campus archives and incorporate into our articles the work of student journalists who came before us. When major events occur on campus, or even nationally or internationally, the paper can document and preserve for later generations the atmosphere of the community in pivotal times of change. Just to name a few examples, in the past few months an act of terror struck Paris and students shared their personal ties; the Pope made a historic visit to the country and the community joined together in the spiritual experience; faculty and students had the chance to engage in the nationwide conversation about the growing wave of campus activism and we had the chance to look back on protests at Seton Hall. Locally, the paper highlighted a housing overflow off campus and questioned the University for important information on the new direction of our campus as we pursue a new college and a new medical school. All of this was done in an effort to serve the community. The big stories might leave an imprint in our minds, but some of the most valuable are the ones featuring student life on campus, like a new club or a personal profile. As a newspaper, it is a fundamental responsibility for us to deliver content objectively, just as it is our duty to provide a voice for the community. As the University undergoes so many changes, it is important to remember that the paper is also an outlet for community voices. While covering important moments is a crucial part of our job, it is clear that while we are the ones compiling the historical record, it is the students, faculty and administrators who are making history on a daily basis. The Setonian looks forward to another semester of reporting after the break and wishes the University Community a happy holiday filled with friends and family.