Grads see more success in job market

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="264"] norwich.edu[/caption] The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) reports that Seton Hall students have a consistently higher employment rate than the national average, with Seton Hall is 86 percent employment rate compared to the 67 percent national average for the 2014 graduating class. The University’s 2014 percent employment rate is an increase from the 2012 and 2013 Seton Hall graduating classes, which maintained an 84 percent overall employment rate six months after graduation, said Reesa Greenwald, director of the Career Center. The center is currently in the process of a six-month employment follow up with the graduating class of 2015. The 2014 career outcomes on SHU’s website says that SHU alumni are employed by companies such as CBS Sports, Prudential Center, Robert Wood Johnson and the FBI. The 2014 career out comes also show that Seton Hall students had more than 17,000 internship opportunities available to them. Seton Hall’s website also said that the University was named one of the top five in the nation for undergraduate internships by International Business Times. Greenwald said that 85 percent of students who were employed after graduation had participated in some type of experiential education. “Employers tell us regularly that they’re looking for students who stand out. That means that they’ve done an internship and/or taken a leadership role on or off campus,” Greenwald said. Meg Reilly, a public relations and communications consultant who graduated in 2012, says internships are essential. “It is near impossible to find a job via ‘cold’ applications,” Reilly said. “You have to know someone or have a way to personally introduce yourself to the company in order to have a chance at being hired.” The overall graduate school acceptance rate for Seton Hall students in 2012 was 90 percent, Greenwald said. In 2013 and 2014 the rate was 94 percent. Data is still being collected for 2015. In addition, Seton Hall’s website says the average starting salaries reported by 2014 alumni was $43,349. Some SHU alumni come back to Seton Hall to recruit for their businesses and organizations, Greenwald said. Many of these alumni return to serve as Pirate Mentors and come to events to coach students and introduce them to employers. Matthew Osinski (2010), senior specialist in network support for AT&T, said the quantitative, qualitative and communication skills learned at Seton Hall were essential. Adam Primm, a 2007 graduate who now is an attorney, said searching for a job can be a full time job. “Using a network of alumni and connections to get your foot in the door can help get an interview, but then you need to stand on your own and win the job,” Primm said. Kyle Sarausky (2007) a Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Lead for the NY Office at West Monroe Partners, said it is becoming more difficult to differentiate oneself on resumes. “I see dozens of highly qualified candidate profiles come across my desk every other week and have found that those who take the time to reach out and establish some sort of relationship and personal connection have a much better shot at landing a job,” Sarausky said. After graduating last May, Kaylyn Sanbower took a job as an assistant national bank examiner for the U.S. Comptroller of the Currency. “My professors and professional connections (at Seton Hall) definitely helped me find a job but the responsibility ultimately fell on me,” Sanbower said. Kimberly Mills, a finance internal audit manager for Johnson & Johnson, who graduated in 2009, said to prepare for the competitive realities of searching for a job, apply for as many jobs as possible and have a strong resume with internships and leadership examples. Sanbower adds, “A bit of unsolicited advice: people are excited to help you find a job if you are also giving an effort.” Samantha Todd can be reached at samantha.todd@student.shu.edu.