Volleyball makes comeback late to win at Walsh

[caption id="attachment_12120" align="alignnone" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   The Seton Hall women’s volleyball team rallied late in the fourth set to beat rival St. Johns 3-1 at Walsh Gymnasium on Friday. The Pirates came back from being three points down in the fourth set to take it 27-25. Their win showed the resiliency they have been searching for all season. Freshman setter Sophia Coffey paced the Pirates with a team-high 37 assists.  The next highest assist total was four, making Coffey’s performance all the more impressive. Amanda Hansen and Danielle Schroeder led the Pirates in kills with 13 and 11, respectively. Head coach Allison Yaeger was pleased with her team’s performance. “Tonight was a must-win for us. We, Butler and St. John’s are battling it out for fifth place in the conference.” It was also a statement win for the Pirates, considering the youth of their team. The Pirates have seven freshmen on the roster. “It says a lot being the young team that we are, not being at the bottom of the conference and just missing the Big East playoffs by one spot,” Yaeger said. The Pirates wrap up their season with Providence at home on Saturday, Nov. 21. Providence only has one conference win on the season, which came against the Pirates. The Pirates will be out to redeem themselves against the Friars. “This is it for the seniors. They love playing at Walsh and we love our home gym,” Yaeger said. “We are out for blood against Providence because we need to prove we are a better volleyball team than the last time we played them.”   Andrew Lombardo can be reached at andrew.lombardo@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @Anlombardo8