Seton Hall Swimming and Diving dominate over two day meet in Piscataway

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="408"] Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Seton Hall men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams took to the pool once again this weekend in a tri-meet against Big East rivals Georgetown and Villanova. The women also battled host Rutgers at the RU Aquatic Center in Piscataway. On Saturday, the Pirates concluded their two-day meet with plenty of excitement on both the men’s and women’s teams. In the men’s pool, freshman Lior Grubert was strong for the Pirates yet again as he finished first overall in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:42.34, just ahead of teammate Noah Yanchulis, who finished second with a 1:42.70. Junior Cooper Lindsley (1:46.55) and senior Tim Bosse (1:47.35) finished sixth and eighth, respectively, to give the Pirates four of the top-10 places in the race. The Pirates also finished first in the medley relay as the foursome of Grubert, fellow freshmen David Rowe and Dakota Williams, and sophomore Sean Sali finished with a time of 1:34.04 to clinch the race. In the women’s end, the Pirates continued what has been a challenging early-season schedule as they participated in the second leg of a quad-meet with Georgetown, Villanova and Rutgers. Freshman Courtney McCardle, sophomore Sydney Simpson and senior Megan Mallon had strong showings in the pool. McCardle placed eighth in the 100 freestyle while Simpson finished fifth in the 200 breast with a 2:26.70 followed by Mallon coming in sixth with a 2:26.73. On Friday, the Pirates got off to a great start. On the men’s side of things, the Pirates sent a clear message, sweeping all nine events. The Pirates have established themselves as one of the best teams in the conference early this season and have shown they are a team built on youth, as all seven of the squad's individual victories came from underclassmen, including a pair from Grubert. Grubert opened the evening by out-touching Yanchulis in the 200-free, clocking a time of 1:42.34 that was just ahead of Yanchulis (1:42.70) in second. Grubert later turned in a time of 9:35.35 in the 1,000-free, cruising to another victory with a margin of nearly 12 seconds. The women’s team was also ready to go with McCardle leading the Hall in a pair of events. She was also present on the Pirates top relay squad in each of the events that were held on the opening day. Mallon delivered the Pirates' top performance of the evening, clocking a time of 1:06.73 that was good enough for fourth overall in the 100-breast and second among Big East competitors. The Pirates will be back in action on Thursday, Nov. 19 when they head to Fairfax, Va., for the Patriot Invitational. Charles Mule can be reached at charles.mule@student.shu.edu