SAB Event Creates Spooky Spectacle for Students

[caption id="attachment_11846" align="alignnone" width="357"]Courtesy of Victoria Hess Courtesy of Victoria Hess[/caption] The Student Activities Board, SAB, tricked and treated more than 200 students to its annual Haunted House event on Oct. 29 in the Main Lounge of the Bishop Dougherty University Center. The event held from 8- 10 p.m. gave students priority points and a good scare. Raymond Richards, SAB Campus Life chair, was in charge of putting the haunted house together. His team of SAB volunteers took about 2 hours to get the haunted house up and running. Once that was ready, a handful of SAB volunteers were stationed in the haunted house in scary costumes ready to jump out and spook those who dared to enter. Richards said the main goal of the haunted house was to “provide entertainment in the Halloween spirit for students on campus.” When asked about what sets this year’s haunted house apart from previous years’, Richards described it as being renovated and revamped to be scarier and more entertaining with the addition of more props, musical effects, and advanced lighting. While at the scene of the haunted house, tents set up to make a maze were covered in strobe lights and spooky decorations. From the depths of the maze inside an almost pitch black Main Lounge, screams and shrieks could be heard accompanied by songs from famous scary movies such as “Halloween” and “Friday the 13th”. According to Richards, many of the 200 students in attendance said the SAB haunted house had greatly surpassed their expectations. Students Lauren Gramatica, Regine Canuel, and Angelique Dimacali were pleasantly surprised that they were actually scared. Attendee Rachel Petke, said she was expecting “Not to get too scared…It is a school event, not Six Flags or something.” Six Flags Great Adventure, an amusement park, runs haunted attractions during the Halloween season for its Fright Fest. Fellow attendee Adam Kmeck said, “I thought it was a great experience, I was actually terrified. I thought it was going to be less scary than it actually was.” William Sayegh can be reached at william.sayegh@student.shu.edu