Women’s club soccer makes first postseason, falls in Regionals

Allyson Rudd's Facebook

Allyson Rudd’s Facebook

With a 7-3-1 record in the regu- lar season, the Seton Hall women’s club soccer team was able to reach the playoffs before being knocked out in regional competition over the weekend.

Playing in Delaware, the Hall went 1-2 in the NIRSA Region 1 Championship Series between Oct. 24 and 25. A goal by senior captain Jordan Scrape on a free kick pushed the Pirates past Buffa- lo for a 1-0 win on Saturday, but it would be SHU’s only goal of the weekend. The club would go on to lose 3-0 to Temple later in the day before closing out the season with a 1-0 loss to Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Just in its second year as a mem- ber of the NIRSA league, this was the club team’s first taste of post- season play. It was the first time a Seton Hall club soccer team –men’s or women’s – made the playoffs, ac- cording to women’s coach Anthony Salerno.

“It was a very successful season,” the second-year coach and Seton Hall graduate said. “The team thrived because of how hard the girls worked and how dedicated they were to the team.”

Had the Pirates made it past regionals, they would have played in Nationals in Phoenix, Ariz. between Nov. 19 and 21. Instead, Salerno is now focused on what lies ahead.

“I am very happy with this past season and am looking forward to continued success in the future.”

Gary Phillips can be reached at gary.phillips@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @GPhillips2727.

Author: Gary Phillips

Gary Phillips is a journalism major at Seton Hall University where he serves as Editor-in-Chief of The Setonian. In addition, Phillips is also a columnist at FanRag Sports and a contributing writer for Jets Wire. He has also interned at CNBC and The Bergen Record and written for Bleacher Report and Double G Sports, in addition to freelance work. You can follow Phillips on Twitter @GaryHPhillips and see all of his work at https://garyphillips.journoportfolio.com/home-page/.