University warns against Halloween mischief

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="366"] nj.com[/caption] Student Services and Student Life have taken efforts to remind students to behave in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct as Halloween approaches. Tracy Gottlieb, Vice President of Student Services, says she has watched the Halloween morph into a “huge adult holiday.” Gottlieb reminds students that, “since people are celebrating it as an adult holiday, then they should behave like adults.” Winston Roberts, Student Life Assistant Dean of Students, said that the Student Code of Conduct is enforced on campus every day and Halloween will be no exception. He reminds students that there are fun ways for students to celebrate the holiday without violating the code. “Our Student Activities Board (SAB) has done a great job in creating events for students to attend and Halloween will also be no exception,” Roberts said. SAB’s haunted house will be on the Green on Oct. 29 at 7 p.m. and SAB will be hosting a trip to Dorney Park for the Halloween Haunt on Oct. 31. Seton Hall’s Residence Hall Alcohol Policy states that only residents and their guests who are all of legal drinking age can possess and consume alcohol beverages in the following alcohol-designated areas: Cabrini Hall, Ora Manor, Turrell Manor, Serra Hall, and Xavier Hall. Those who choose to drink must do so in the presence of other students who are also 21 years old and older. Alcoholic beverages are permitted in alcohol-designated Residence Halls if the liquid arrives in its original unopened bottles. The Alcohol Policy states, “Any individual bringing alcohol into University housing must show appropriate identification (such as driver’s license, or any State issued ID) to the person working at the residence hall reception desk.” Brittany Rockenfeller, senior public relations and journalism major, said she thinks that students tend to go “overboard” on Halloween and make decisions they would not normally make. She is aware of the measures Seton Hall takes to enforce rules, “Of course I’ve heard of parties busted, haven’t we all?” To ensure safety for all students, violations of the policy will result in confiscation of the alcohol present on the scene and a judicial hearing. The Seton Hall University Student Code of Conduct states the rules and regulations for drugs and alcohol on campus. The code prohibits use, possession, manufacturing and distribution of paraphernalia, marijuana, heroin, narcotics, and prescription drugs, except “as expressly permitted by law.” The code enforces the same rule in regard to alcohol consumption for students under the age of 21. “The Code of Student Conduct applies to conduct that occurs on University premises, at University sponsored activities and to off-campus conduct that adversely affects the University Community,” Roberts said. “Students are members of the larger community as well; therefore the University retains the right to refer any student whose behavior on or off campus may have violated the University’s regulations.” Leah Carton can be reached at leah.carton@student.shu.edu.