New College of Communication lacks communication

Earlier this week, hundreds of students gathered in Jubilee Auditorium for the convocation of the new College of Communication and the Arts. Guided by luminaries, we walked in scattered packs across the Green and ignited plastic candle stubs as a school to signify a new start. In the fall evening breeze, plastic collapsible tables that once held crisp new T-shirts stood bare, greeting the final arriving students, a stark contrast to the jubilant atmosphere across campus in the auditorium. In the dark, eerily lit driveway in front of the University Center, as we arrived at our final destination we wondered, what’s next? What is next? And from a student perspective, what does it all mean? Ample rumors abound of new classes, a new core and even new resources, but what is the timeframe and who will reap these new benefits? In the paper this week announces an anticipated renovation of Mooney Hall as a part of a campus “Master Plan,” but the University at this time will not release further information of the changes. As registration approaches quickly, the question arises of whether there will be new courses or new requirements. The lack of information reflects the process of the college. Although The Setonian reported on initial discussion of the proposed school, the announcement came as somewhat of a shock. As students, we understand that this is an amazing opportunity with our best interest in mind, but we can’t help but wonder, what other surprises are hiding down the line? The fact is, the definitive information students have of the new college right now seems like hearsay. Seniors are resentful of the fact that we will not be here to enjoy the promised land of opportunity associated with this new title. We keep asking questions like, what will these new resources be? Although we are grateful for the recognition and the hard work that went into the formation of the college, transparency moving forward would help us feel like a part of the process. Right now many questions remain, specifically as convocation marked the official formation, we ask, what’s next?