Children to benefit from Junior Pirates Club

[caption id="attachment_11658" align="alignnone" width="645"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   Seton Hall is starting early with its recruiting of fans. The Junior Pirates Club is a kids club offered by Seton Hall Athletics to create engagement of young fans of the Blue and White. Upon joining, children in eighth grade or younger can get a number of yearlong benefits such as attending Seton Hall sporting events, including men’s basketball games. “They get the opportunity to attend basketball games. They get some cool gear,” said Assistant Athletics Director for Market- ing and Promotions Christopher Carl. “It really just immerses them in Seton Hall athletics at a young age. We talk about building that fandom and that passion at a very early age.”
The club was created by Seton Hall athletics marketing and has been active since 2008. On average, there are about 250 children registered each year.
For $15, a child can attend as many Seton Hall soccer, volleyball, baseball and softball games as he or she wants. Along with attending sporting events, the kids get T-shirts, a birthday card from the Pirate and a personalized membership card.
The membership card tracks attendance to events and allows members to earn prizes. The participating kids certainly get a lot of perks. However, parents get a more meaningful experience from the Junior Pirates Club.
“If parents have a young child and they are Seton Hall basketball fans, we want that kid to become a Seton Hall basketball fan, as well,” Carl said. Former Seton Hall Pirates can share their experience with their children at a young age. Bringing their children to games early may encourage them to attend Seton Hall when it’s time to choose a college. “Above anything, it’s making sure that when they come to a game, they have an enjoyable experience, that they want to come back again,” Carl said. “We want the kids to talk to their parents and say ‘I had so much fun and I want to go back.’”   Javon Glenn can be reached at javon.glenn@student.shu.edu or on twitter @javong25