Volleyball drops to Big East rival Marquette

Seton Hall Athletics

Seton Hall Athletics

The Seton Hall women’s volleyball team headed to Wisconsin to face off with Big East rival Marquette on Friday, and came away with a four-set loss.

This was a trip home for both Amanda Hansen and Sara Connell, who are from the Badger State. The Pirates have been 4-5 in Big East play so far and looked to make progress toward a winning record against the Golden Eagles.

Unfortunately, they fell short in four sets to Marquette in a contest that saw both Danielle Schroeder and Hansen record double-digit kills with 18 and 12, respectively. After taking the first set, the Pirates were unable to outdo Marquette, who took the next three sets decisively. They were led by junior Taylor Louis, who had a double-double with an impressive 23 kills and 12 digs.

Other standouts for the Pirates included a performance from junior Tessa Fournier, who did not get the start, but notched 24 digs in the contest. Freshman Sophia Coffey also had herself a night, filling up the stat sheet with 45 assists and almost had the double-double with eight assists.

Overall, the Hall is now at 10-12 this season and moves forward to Chicago on Saturday, Oct. 24 to face DePaul University before coming back to South Orange for a three-game home stand.

For Schroeder, this will be her return to her home city. The last time Seton Hall faced off with DePaul, the Pirates swept the Blue Demons in three straight sets. DePaul has struggled so far in conference play with a 2-8 record.
Joseph McManus can be reached at Joseph.mcmanus@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @ScoopMcManus