‘Whistle while you Sworkit?’

[caption id="attachment_11516" align="alignnone" width="201"]Apple App Store Apple App Store[/caption] The marathon sprint from one class to Dunkin’ Donuts to another is sometimes a student’s only form of exercise throughout the day. The Sworkit app may be able to remedy this problem by offering workout routines on the go. Sworkit, abbreviated from Simply Work It, offers more than 170 different exercises which include strengthening workouts, yoga, pilates and stretches. The user can choose multiple exercises and create their own workout. The commonality among these activities is that there is no equipment required. “We strive to provide the simplest way to get a workout in anywhere, anytime, with no room for excuses,” according to the Sworkit website. Sworkit also allows users to customize the amount of time they wish to work out in increments of five minutes, from five minutes to 60 minutes. The app provides video demonstrations of the different exercises which are performed by personal trainers, according to a Sworkit press release. “This app provides lots of options to have quick five minute work outs and the personal trainers in the videos make it really clear how to do exercises,” Denise Donnelly, a sophomore biology major, said. Further customization is available through music choice in which the app provides playlists from rap to throwback jams which can be listened to through Spotify. Kathleen Matta, associate athletic director of recreational services said it is important for students to carefully research a fitness app before using it. “There are many similar apps and they all have varied benefits and shortcomings. That said, any app that motivate students to work out will have immediate benefits,” Matta said. The app is popular amongst college students throughout the country. Specifically, a University of Florida study compared 30 of the iPhone’s most popular free fitness apps, which showed that Sworkit Lite came out on top ranking almost twice as high as the next competitor, according to a Sworkit press release. The app is currently available on iOS, Android and Amazon. Julie Trien can be reached at julie. trien@student.shu.edu