Pirates fall in double overtime to Blue Demons

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="198"] Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Seton Hall men’s soccer team added yet another loss to its record in heartbreaking fashion Wednesday night, when the team fell to the DePaul Blue Demons in double-overtime by the score of 3-2 at Owen T. Carroll Field. The game-winner came on a 101st minute goal from DePaul defender John Freitag. It was a three-point night for the freshman, who recorded assists on DePaul’s two other scores. It seemed as if the Pirates were on their way to capturing their elusive first victory in the 80th minute when Spencer Burkhardt recorded his first goal of his collegiate career. Burkhardt fired a shot from 25 yards out off an Eric Lagg feed to put the Hall up 2-1. But just four minutes later, the Blue Demons responded with the equalizer when Freitag’s cross was headed in by Simon Megally. DePaul went into intermission with a 1-0 advantage that was a result of Jake Scheper’s goal in the 30th minute. SHU responded when red-shirt junior Daniel Bartok evened the score at 1-1 after he tallied his third goal of the season, tying him for the team-lead with Samuel Geiler. The Pirates have not recorded a victory since last season’s finale at St. John’s despite having a 14-9 advantage in shots on Wednesday. Big East play quickly resumes for the Blue and White as the team heads to Providence to face off with the Friars on Saturday, Oct. 17. Kick-off is set for 4:05 p.m. Matt Zeigafuse can be reached at matthew.zeigafuse@student.shu.edu or on twitter @mattzeigafuse