Around the world and back to SHU

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="320"] shu.edu[/caption] Similar to the colorful leaves falling into a pile, Seton Hall’s International Month will bring a variety of cultures together into its own melting pot. Celebrated every October, International Month seeks to educate and immerse the Seton Hall community into a multitude of cultures, encouraging diversity among students, faculty and staff. Events will be hosted throughout the month by academic departments, student organizations and individuals. With undergraduate and graduate students coming from all 50 states and territories, as well as from 71 different countries, it helps to understand our increasingly global community. This year, the celebration will be mixing old favorites like lessons in Chinese calligraphy, sushi tasting, live Slavic classical music and new events such as Asian tea tasting and a foreign film festival. With its busy calendar, the Italian Student Union celebrates not only International Month this fall, but also Italian Heritage Month. Carmine Lombardi, president of the union, said the group will march in a Columbus Day Parade, assist in the 116th Annual Feast of St. Gerard Maiella at St. Lucy’s Church in Newark, in which they will participate in a mass spoken solely in Italian, and host a film screening of the Academy award-winning movie “Mediterraneo." Coming from another part of Europe, the Slavic Club, which focuses on Eastern European cultures such as Polish, Russian, Ukrainian and Croatian, will be bringing back to campus an acclaimed international concert violinist David Podles, who can play any song by request. They will also be hosting a former CIA member to speak about his experiences working with the special intelligence department for Russian affairs. Tomasz Przywarczak, a junior economics and sports management major and Slavic Club member, said International Month allows students to put opposing viewpoints into perspective. “Diversity is a great thing to be aware of. Although you may not agree with a person’s way of love or life, you should at least understand where they come from and why they think what they think,” Przywarczak said. Alexandra Ebol, a junior nursing major and Filipino League member, said International Month is an educational and eye-opening experience. “Last year, I learned a lot about the Indian culture when I attended a South Asian Student Association event. I learned traditional dances and got to try some really unique foods,” Ebol added. Going deeper into its roots this year, the French Club will be showcasing culture through events like “Café Francois" in which students will be encouraged to communicate, indulge and enjoy in their take on an authentic French café. Sean Bolduc, a junior political science major and French club member, said that he hopes to show that France is more than just croissants and baguettes. Mackenzie Scibetta can be reached at mackenzie.scibetta@student.shu.edu.