Pirates knock off Blue Demons in straight sets

[caption id="attachment_11251" align="alignnone" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   The Seton Hall volleyball team knocked off the DePaul Blue Demons in straight sets Friday night to earn its second straight win. The Pirates improve to 8-7 on the year with the win, and 2-1 in Big East play. The Hall played in front of an energetic crowd in what was the team’s Big East home opener. “The crowd’s awesome,” head coach Allie Yaeger said. “I always know the crowd is good when I can’t even talk to the girls because it’s so loud. But they feed off of that. I can’t tell you how excited the girls were coming into this weekend, knowing that we are in Walsh.” Freshman standout Cherise Hennigan led the way for the Pirates, earning a match-high 16 kills. Her performance, along with the collective defense of the Pirates, helped the team win in straight sets while only trailing in a few instances. “We wanted to serve No. 11. She’s their sixth rotation player,” Yaeger said in reference to the Pirates’ game plan coming into the match. “We wanted to make her tired and exhausted just by working her really hard. Other than that, we just set up our defenses.” Yaeger said winning at home will prove to be one of the keys for the Hall this season as the team looks to duplicate last year’s performance. “I always tell the girls we have to get our home wins,” she said. “When we go out on the road, it makes it a little easier knowing that we have that cushion of getting wins at home.” The Pirates will be back in action on Saturday when they host Marquette in Walsh Gymnasium at 6 p.m. Matthew Rachek can be reached at matthew.rachek@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @matthewrachek