Putting a stop to the pesky buzz on campus

The bees and gnats that have allegedly been buzzing around quarters of Boland Hall and the University Center are subsiding, recent reports show.

Students first discovered a bees nest outside Boland Hall, near the communal bathroom on the third floor south, on Aug. 27.

“The bees were first noticed and reported on move-in day, they were in the bathroom and (my) room. I’m mildly allergic so I was pretty nervous, plus bee allergies are insanely common,” said Alex
andra Recupero, a freshman.

Taryn Foy, Boland Hall director, said the residence hall filed a work order through the Facilities Engineering office on Sept. 1 requesting an exterminator. The exterminator was able to successfully remove the nest on Sept. 16. In a follow-up visit on Sept. 21, no bees were immediately found.

While the problem is nearly resolved, it seems some Boland residents are anxious over their pesky neighbors.

Recupero says that she has found a lingering bee in her bathroom, other students share their discomfort with the bee population as well.

“I never really saw any bees. I would know (if I saw some) because I’m deathly afraid,” Ariana Galambos, freshman, said.

The University Center dealt with its own pest problem in recent weeks. The gnats (officially identified as midge flies) were discovered outside the second floor office area, occasionally flying in to visit some University employees.

“I have moved my computer and phone away from where the bugs are. Hopefully the situation
is resolved soon,” said Maggie Bach, assistant director for leadership development from the Department of Student Life.

John Signorello, associate vice president for Facilities and Operations and for Facilities and Business Affairs, said the insects are suspected to have come from indoor plants in the offices.

“The plants have been isolated,” said Signorello. “Based on the feedback I have received this morning (Sept. 28), the issue looks like (it is) subsiding.”

Julie Trien can be reached at julie.trien@student.shu.edu.

1 Comment

1. Two years ago, my wife, Ann, and I started a foundation in Minneapolis, to try to save the Monarch Butterfly. The foundation is SaveOurMonarchs Foundation, devoted to saving Monarchs by planting Milkweed seeds.

So now SaveOurMonarchs.org offers free milkweed seeds to anyone. You can just send your request for seeds to SaveOurMonarchs.org and click on ‘Get ‘Seeds’.  

Ward Johnson

Post a Reply