Young NFL season full of strong story lines

[caption id="attachment_11056" align="alignnone" width="838"]NFL.com NFL.com[/caption]   Ah, football has returned, and what a great feeling it is. We’ve already seen our share of blowouts, close games, upsets and big-time performances. But look beyond those games and you’ve already got yourself more than just the scores and stats. The 2015 NFL season is just two weeks young, but it has been filled with its share of stories. Here are the top three headlines that have taken over the league thus far. Keep fueling the fire “He who laughs last, laughs lon- gest.” Tom Brady is wasting no time making up for eight months of ridicule in the start of the 2015 NFL season. Getting the last laugh; it is Tom who is laughing now. It is personal up in Foxborough, as it should be. Since the morning after January’s AFC Championship game, Brady’s Patriots have been dragged through the mud and defaced by the league throughout months of slander.
When Judge Richard Berman gave his decision on Sept. 3, many thought Deflategate was finally over. While the NFL’s decision to appeal will be ongoing for who knows how long, the aftermath of the failed sting operation is just getting started. The decision is bad news for the rest of the league, jubilation in New England. The biggest storyline of the first two weeks of the 2015 campaign has been TB12, whether you like it or not. Brady has opened up the season on fire, recently posting 466 yards and three more scores against Rex Ryan’s bully defense up in Buffalo on Sunday. And last week in the season opener against Pittsburgh it was the same deal. Brady is propelled with more motivation than ever. For the rest of the league: Keep on fueling that fire, though. Whether it’s another cheating allegation or Ryan’s loud mouth, things haven’t really changed when it comes to the New England Patriots. They’re not just looking to respond this season, they’re looking to rub your nose in it.
Sleepless in Seattle The back-to-back NFC champions are 0-2 after road losses to St. Louis and Green Bay. If there is one thing that’s for sure in Seattle, it is that their defense looks lost, especially that secondary. Blame it on Kam Chancellor, blame it on the departure of defensive coordinator Dan Quinn. I don’t know what the issue is, but there is one at the moment. I’m not writing off the, in my opinion, NFC’s best team, just yet though. They get Chicago and Detroit at home the next two weeks. Don’t be surprised to see the Seahawks at 2-2.
Hot seat in New Orleans? The Saints stink. Period. After opening up 0-1 with a loss to a good Cardinals team on the road, the Saints had a perfect opportunity to get win No. 1 of the 2015 season with an easy home game against a cupcake Tampa Bay Buccaneers team. Home games in the Superdome should present a lopsided advantage for the Saints, but they don’t. Even dating back to last season, the Saints have struggled at home. But against Tampa? Against a rookie quarterback? Come on, New Orleans. With Drew Brees hurt and upcoming games against the Panthers, Cowboys, Eagles, Falcons and Colts, the 0-2 Saints could find themselves in hot water. Hot water leads to hot seats; look out, Sean Payton.
David Heim is a senior journalism major from Roselle Park, N.J. He can be reached at david.heim@student.shu.edu