TapRide, SafeRide’s version of ‘uber’

Courtesy of Public Safety

Courtesy of Public Safety

TapRide Arrived

The Department of Public Safety will introduce a new TapRide mobile application to the Seton Hall Community and SafeRide passengers next Monday, Sept. 28.

Downloading the TapRide app give users the ability to pinpoint their location and request a SafeRide vehicle for them and up to five additional passengers, granted that they are within the SafeRide zone. TapRide recognizes user’s location and allows students to track drivers on a virtual map. Notifications alert students when their ride requests are accepted and when their ride arrives.

TapRide was implemented due to the influx of calls that the Department of Public Safety receives from students. SafeRide provided over 35,000 rides to students last academic year.

Donald Tauriello, associate director of the Department of Public Safety, researched systems that would make it easier for students and the Department to request and dispatch SafeRide transportation. TapRide was brought here in a collaborative effort between the Department of Public Safety and the Department of Information Technology.

An instructional video on how to use the app from TLTC is scheduled to be released sometime over the next few weeks.

SafeRide was created for students travelling to or from campus’ proximity who are not within the SHUFLY route. Students in the SHUFLY zone can request a ride outside of the SHUFLY zone but inside of the SafeRide zone and vice versa. Three SafeRide vans are available to students Thursday through Saturday and two from Sunday through Wednesday. Students requesting a ride entirely within the SHUFLY route are asked to wait for the next arriving shuttle.

SHUFLY shuttles run daily until 3 a.m.

Failure to follow this request from the Department of Public Safety “delays us from providing services to students in the (SafeRide) zone,” said Patrick Linfante, Assistant Vice President for Public Safety and Security.

Leah Carton can be reached at leah.carton@student.shu.edu

Author: Leah Carton

Leah Carton is the Managing Editor of The Setonian. She is a senior at Seton Hall majoring in journalism and public relations. She is a former Features intern for Seventeen Magazine and a former Corporate Communications & Marketing intern for Meridian Health.

1 Comment

1. TapRide seems to be an exceptional idea coming from SafeRide services. Students who attend Seton Hall University should be happy this type of transportation exists among their college because it provides a safe and easy way to be transported from one location to the next. This seems to be SafeRides version of Uber and most likely will be very effective.
    A good edition to TapRide is the instructional video, which comes with the app that allows users to learn how to use the app correctly. Because of the plentiful amount of personnel who call to use public safety feature and the millennial age that are using the app, it will pick up very easy.
    I personally would love to have a local safe system such as this at home, but today there are more generalized businesses such as Uber that dominate the game. I am certainly interested in seeing how this trend exponentially grows in the future of smart technology and travel.

Post a Reply