Powell picks Pirates as Aiken decision looms

[caption id="attachment_11106" align="alignnone" width="838"]Youtube.com Youtube.com[/caption]   “Great day to be a Pirate!” is what Kevin Willard tweeted out on Saturday afternoon. While the Seton Hall head coach did not specify why that was the case, the joyful tweet came moments after four-star Trenton, N.J., shooting guard Myles Powell announced he had committed to SHU over the social media service. “I am glad to announce that I have verbally committed to accept a basketball scholarship from Seton Hall University,” he wrote. Ranked as the 74th-best prospect in the 2016 recruiting class by ESPN and the third-best player in Jersey, Powell’s decision to stay at home leaves offers form UConn, DePaul, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, VCU and Saint Joseph’s on the table. A star at Trenton Catholic and then the South Kent School (Conn.), he also played for the New Jersey Playaz, a perennial powerhouse AAU team. He averaged 19.8 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game for the Playaz this past summer in the Elite Youth Basketball League to accompany a 48.3 field goal percentage. A talented shooter, he hit 62 threes, the most in the EYBL.
“Powell is one of the best three- point shooters in the country,” ESPN’s scouting report (Insiders only) reads. “He’s virtually automatic when his feet are set and al- ready owns range out to the NBA arc. He’s very adept at getting his shot off in a number of ways and is equally capable of coming off screens, pulling up from deep off the dribble or finding a spot in transition.”
“Myles Powell is the best shooter in the country, period,” Jimmy Salmon, the director of the Playaz, said in an interview with SNY.tv’s Adam Zagoria. “His game will transcend to the next level.”
While his shot has the touch, the Worldwide Leader goes on to say size and speed are not his strongest suits. “Powell is undersized for the two-guard position and not an explosive athlete,” ESPN writes. “He’s going to have constant challenges keeping up with quicker and more athletic guards on the defensive end of the floor and also is never going to blow by anybody off the dribble or play above the rim. His size, or lack thereof, has yet to be a major factor to date but could be further exploited at the next level.”
The 6-foot-2, 195-pound Powell tweeted the news of his commitment while on campus in South Orange over the weekend. He was on an official visit with fellow New Jersey guard Bryce Aiken (Patrick School). As it stands, the Hall no longer has any open scholarships with the addition of Powell, but remain in play for Aiken. The sixth-overall player in the Garden State according to ESPN, Aiken is narrowed his choices down to life in South Orange, Harvard and Miami. Powell has already gotten to work on the 6-foot point guard, tweeting, “Waiting on you Bryce,” and a photo of the two and Willard on Saturday. “I would love to play with not only Myles, but with the current players they have there as well,” Aiken told Zagoria. Gary Phillips can be reached at gary.phillips@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @GPhillips27