Arcila nets first career goal as Pirates fall to Monmouth

[caption id="attachment_11023" align="alignnone" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Seton Hall men’s soccer team fell to Monmouth on the road by a score of 4-1 Monday night. Andres Arcila scored SHU’s lone goal, which was also his first career score, in the 39th minute off a cross from John Philbin. The shot put the Pirates in a position to make a comeback after only being down a goal going into halftime. Arcila tied for the team lead in shots for the game with five. Brandon Barnes came in to play goalie, replacing Julian Spindler for the final 25 minutes, after the Hawks scored their fourth goal. Barnes shut out Monmouth for the rest of the match. Samuel Geiler also put five shots on goal, two of which were on frame and needed good saves from the Monmouth goalkeeper. The Hall was able to produce shots 17 shots, seven of which were on frame, resulting in one goal. While the Hawks only had only seven, with four on frame, all four shots on goal resulted in scores for Monmouth. The Hawks were dominant with their free kicks and scored three of their four goals off of set pieces.  The Hall couldn’t set up its defense correctly to react to the crosses Monmouth was playing into the box.  The Hawks’ free kicks were scored in the 15th, 60th, and 65th minutes. The Hawks also scored in the 31st on a cross, as well. Next up for the Pirates is their opening match in Big East play at home against Creighton, the No. 1 team in the country. It will be the fifth time in school history that the Hall faces the top team in the nation.   Blaine Spencer can be reached at blaine.spencer@student.shu.edu