Pirates volleyball drops first match at Cornell Invitational

[caption id="attachment_10967" align="alignnone" width="622"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] Women’s volleyball lost its fourth straight match after dropping the first match of the Cornell Invitational to the Loyola Ramblers in four sets, 3-1 (20-25, 25-17, 17-25, 21-25). Junior Danielle Schroeder had 13 kills to lead the Pirates. Schroeder now has 105 kills in the season, second most on the team. Senior Amanda Hansen had nine kills against Loyola, good for second on the team. Freshman Cherise Hennigan had eight kills adding to her team leading total of 106. Fellow freshman Sophia Coffey led the match with 35 assists who had a double-double with 11 digs and three kills. Coffey is currently leading the blue and white in assists with 343. The Pirates lost the first set of the match, but looked to turn things around by winning the second. With the score tied at 12, Seton Hall scored seven straight points which helped win the set. However, Loyola jumped on the Pirates early in the third set and never looked back. The same happened in the fourth and last set and the Ramblers held off the rallying Pirates to win the match. The Pirates are now 4-6 this season after starting with four wins in their first six matches. The blue and white were unable to get a win after not losing all three of their matches at the Active Ankle Challenge. While the Pirates are currently on a losing streak, Loyola has now won eight straight games. Leading the Ramblers was freshman Amanda Cushen with 12 kills The Pirates will look to break their losing streak Saturday at 1 p.m. against host Cornell and later at 5 p.m. against Binghamton. Javon Glenn can be reached at javon.glenn@student.shu.edu or on twitter @javong25.