Make a splash and dive into fitness

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="613"] Courtesy of gregoryburrusreviews.com[/caption] The dreaded freshman fifteen is what students were warned about before coming to college. And the long study sessions while making several trips to Dunkin Donuts does not exactly help. Even though regularly eating healthy might be difficult and inconvenient compared to grabbing a slice of pizza, fitness is important. Swimming can be considered an alternative for people who cannot take the physical demands of the gym or simply choose not to. Raphael Sevilla, a sophomore biology major uses swimming in the campus pool as a cardio compared to running. “It is enjoyable and helps with joint strength and lung capacity,” Seville said. Kathryn Carson, a member of Seton Hall University's women’s swimming and diving team, said swimming is a great alternative to traditional workouts like weight training because you are using different muscles at different times, but all muscles will be used during one workout. This is different than a regular arm day, leg day and ab day, she added. For beginner swimmers looking for a workout routine, Carson suggests four laps of freestyle and four laps of kicking freestyle to be done twice each. Carson said learning how to get a rhythm with your kicks and arms is essential to improving your swim technique. “Swimming is a great aerobic exercise for all ages and abilities,” Courtney Regan, a swimmer on SHU's women’s swimming and diving team, said. Through gathering a group of friends together to take a swim in the pool, the workout can be an enjoyable way to burn calories. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, swimming can improve arthritis and injured joints as well as relieve anxiety. If you are ready to dive into fitness, the pool is open during the school year on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. The weekend hours are 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The pool is also open during the summer. Ryanne Boyer can be reached at ryanne.boyer@student.shu.edu