Pirates struggle in William & Mary Invitational

[caption id="attachment_10868" align="alignnone" width="622"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Seton Hall women’s golf team finished ninth in Round 2 and currently sits tied for 11th place out of a field of 12 in the William & Mary Invitational at the Plantation Course in Annapolis, Maryland. Heading into the second round, the Pirates sat in last place of the field, however, thanks to a much improved Round 2, have positioned themselves to move up in the standings. The 2015 field featured 12 teams: William & Mary, Appalachian State, Bucknell, Eastern Kentucky, High Point, Longwood, UNC-Wilmington, North Dakota State, Presbyterian, Radford and Western Carolina. The Hall struggled early in Round 1 and finished in eleventh place with a 314. After shooting a 79, 7-over-par, in the first round, Cassie Pantelas shot the best round for the Pirates of the tournament with an even 72 in Round 2. Through the first two rounds, she sits on the leaderboard with a 151, 7-over-par, to lead the Pirates and is 13th-overall in the tournament. Pantelas will look to build off her fantastic round and continue to lead the Pirates. Megan Tenhundfeld duplicated her first-round performance in the second round, shooting a 77, 5-over-par, to finish the tournament with a 153, 9-over-par, and sits 21st overall in the tournament. Unfortunately for the Pirates, the three other golfers, McKenzie Cutter, Macky Fouse and Karlie Zabrosky have struggled on the course, shooting 16-, 18- and 19-over-par, respectively, through the first two rounds of the tournament. The Hall will look for them to improve their scores in the final round. UNC-Wilmington seems to have run away with the tournament, shooting a 293 in both Rounds 1 and 2. That was good enough for the team to finish 10 strokes ahead of the next two challengers, William & Mary and Eastern Kentucky, who each shot a 598 as their final team score through the first two rounds. Seton Hall will look to climb the standings in the final round of the William & Mary Invitational Tuesday, Sept. 15. Matthew Rachek can be reached at matthew.rachek@student.shu.edu or on twitter @MatthewRachek