Hall Volleyball falls in five to Utah

[caption id="attachment_10835" align="alignnone" width="620"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Seton Hall women’s volleyball team saw their record fall to 4-5 on the season Saturday as they dropped a five-set match to the Utah Utes (16-25, 25-22, 26-24, 23-25, 6-15) in the finale of the Active Ankle Challenge. The result may not have been a true indicator of the Pirates’ performance on the evening as the team saw three players reach double figures in kills. The offensive attack was led by junior Danielle Schroeder who recorded a new career high with 17. Freshman Cherise Hennigan recorded 16 kills – a new personal best on her young career. Fellow freshman Sophia Coffey continued her contribution to the team with her first career double-double of 46 assists and 15 digs. After dropping the first set the Pirates went on to win the next two and had a great opportunity to seal the match in the fourth set. Seton Hall was three points away from winning the fourth set and the game when they held a 22-21 lead. The Utes surged late in the set, winning four of the last five points to take the set 25-23. Utah never looked back as they dominated the fifth and deciding set. Their 13-4 advantage to start the set proved to be insurmountable for the Pirates who eventually fell 15-6. It was the first five set loss for the Hall on the season. It was also the first match where two Pirates recorded a double-double. Along with Coffey, Grace Forren notched her third career double-double on Saturday. Tessa Fournier continued her strong play in a leadership role as she was named to the Active Ankle Challenge All-Tournament Team. Seton Hall’s in-season tournament schedule concludes next weekend at the Cornell Invitational. The Pirates will face Loyola on Friday followed by a double header Saturday against host Cornell and Binghamton. Matt Zeigafuse can be reached at matthew.zeigafuse@student.shu.edu or on twitter @mattzeigafuse