Maiorana out: Women’s soccer goalie walks away

Mark down another loss for Seton Hall’s winless women’s soccer team.

Varsity Sports Network

Varsity Sports Network

With a 0-4-2 record on the young season, the Pirates must now deal with the departure of backup goalkeeper Gina Maiorana, who told head coach Rick Stainton that she will leave the program on Tuesday night, according to Seton Hall Athletics.

A senior from Street, Maryland, Maiorana played in three of the Hall’s first six regular season games, tallying just over 114 minutes of action to go with eight saves and four goals allowed. Her lone start – a 3-1 loss to Monmouth on Aug. 30 – saw Maiorana allow three goals in 90 minutes of play.

The understudy to freshman starter Anna MacLean, Maiorana’s decision to jump ship leaves Illissa Blackshear and Laura Dramis as the only other goalies on the Pirates’ roster. Blackshear, who recently finished serving a six-game suspension for academic reasons, made 15 starts for Seton Hall last year, recording a 0.93 goals against average and .825 save percentage during the 2014 season.

Maiorana declined comment when contacted by The Setonian.

Gary Phillips can be reached at or on Twitter @GPhillips2727.

Author: Gary Phillips

Gary Phillips is a journalism major at Seton Hall University where he serves as Editor-in-Chief of The Setonian. In addition, Phillips is also a columnist at FanRag Sports and a contributing writer for Jets Wire. He has also interned at CNBC and The Bergen Record and written for Bleacher Report and Double G Sports, in addition to freelance work. You can follow Phillips on Twitter @GaryHPhillips and see all of his work at