Volleyball drops season opener in straight sets

The Seton Hall women’s volleyball team lost to Nebraska-Omaha in its season opener, 3-0, the first game of the 2015 UNLV Invitational. [caption id="attachment_10647" align="alignright" width="230"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] Though the Pirates lost in straight sets, they were very competitive throughout the contest. The Hall and the Mavericks were neck and neck throughout the first set, trading points back and forth. Upon tying the first set up at 22 apiece, the Mavericks finished on a run and won 25-23. The Mavericks carried their momentum into the second set and held a strong eight-point lead throughout the majority of the set. They took that one 25-22. The third set was the last opportunity for the Hall to capture a set and stay alive. Seton Hall hung tight with Nebraska-Omaha throughout the first half of the set, but ran out of gas as the Mavericks went on a run and developed a commanding 22-16 lead. They would go on to win the set 25-17. Senior Kelley Wollak proved to be the difference for the Mavericks, leading the game with 10 kills and contributing three assists and five digs. Sophomore Mackenzie Horkey also made a strong contribution for Nebraska-Omaha, collecting 12 digs, eight kills and two assists. For the Hall, senior Amanda Hansen led the way with eight kills along with an assist and dig. Freshman Grace Forren had a strong debut for the Pirates, racking up five kills and nine digs. The Pirates will look to build off of their success from last season, where they finished second in the Big East Conference and lost to Creighton, 3-1, in the 2014 Big East Championship. Just like last year, Seton Hall was picked sixth in this year’s Big East Preseason Coaches’ Poll. The Pirates will continue their play in the UNLV Invitational tomorrow against Central Arkansas at 3:30 p.m. and will wrap up at 10:00 p.m. against UNLV. It will be the program’s first ever meeting with Central Arkansas.   Matthew Rachek can be reached at matthew.rachek@student.shu.edu