Students encouraged to use 'common sense' in light of off-campus murder

197748_176820585718882_6555087_n The Department of Public Safety issued a Pirate Alert Thursday morning warning of a reported murder that occurred off campus in Ivy Hill Park. A deceased individual was found on the east side of the property at approximately 5 a.m. on Aug. 20. The victim was male, and appeared to have suffered from gunshot wounds, Assistant Vice President and Director of Public Safety Patrick Linfante said in an email. The victim is not a Seton Hall student or an employee, nor is it believed at this time that they have any relationship to the Seton Hall community. This incident does not appear to pose an ongoing threat to Seton Hall students, according to Linfante. “We try to provide members of our community information about ongoing incidents, crime trends and issues that may impact them in one way or another,” Linfante said. “We believe that by providing this information, the members of our community can evaluate risks and make informed decisions about their own personal safety.” Ivy Hill Park is a neighborhood park located on the outermost western side of Newark, between Seton Hall University and Mt. Vernon Place. The adjacent Ivy Hill Apartments house over 10,000 residents, including Seton Hall students. In light of thousands of students returning to campus for the start of the semester in less than two weeks, Linfante urges the use of common sense while traveling off campus. “Walking the streets while using cell phones, entering parks after dark, traveling alone after dark or while intoxicated, are activities that invite trouble,” Linfante said. He encourages students to utilize services provided by The Department of Public Safety. The Essex County Prosecutor’s Office and the Essex County Sheriff’s Department are currently investigating this incident. No other information has been released at this time. The Essex County Sheriff’s Office was contacted and was unavailable for comment in time for this article. The Essex County Sheriff's Office asks that anyone with more information on the incident call 973-621-4111. Mary Marshall can be reached at mary.marshall@student.shu.edu