The New Era of Fashion, New York Fashion Week: Mens

Mens Fashion week 2 Mens Fashion week 3Mens Fashion week 1   Men’s fashion has been in high demand for the past couple of years and it continues to grow rapidly today. This summer on July 13, a new era was born at New York Fashion Week as it branched away from the longstanding idea that men’s fashion would be strictly based in London, Milan, Paris and Florence. However, the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) worked to create a plan that would cross the Atlantic Ocean and land right here in the heart of New York City. The CFDA’s plan allows American designers to debut their masterpieces in men’s fashion. Top American designers such as Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger and Michael Kors all joined in on the “New York Fashion Week Men’s” action. On the last day of Fashion Week, I was fortunate enough to view the Scandinavian House brand, “J Lindeberg” at Spring Studios. The head designer of “J Lindebeg,” Jessy Heuvelink was inspired by the 1969 film, “Midnight Cowboy” to create the collection. Over the years, Heuvelink’s connection with nature has been present throughout all of his collections. Specifically, this year, he engaged his audience in a remarkable title to his collection “Birds -Tailored to Fly.” Heuvelink stated his theory behind the idea: “Birds for me are mysterious and beautiful creatures. They embody the ultimate symbol of freedom through their ability of flight.” His spring and summer 2016 lines have been praised on multiple social media sites like Instagram, Facebook and Twitter by remarkable bloggers like Igee Okafor of igeeokafor.com, Monti Ankari of metroman.com and Seton Hall University’s own alumni Jamiel Ahmad of theraritangallery.com. “The seasonal theme of the celestial birds presents highlights such as feather like textures, fringes, thematic prints, soft structured fabrics and mouliné knits,” Heuvelink said. Martin O. Tettey can be reached at martin.tettey@student.shu.edu Photos courtesy of Martin Tetty.