Former Pirate Dalembert, Mavericks agree to deal

[caption id="attachment_10531" align="alignnone" width="570"]hoopshabit.com hoopshabit.com[/caption]   Free agent center and former Seton Hall standout Samuel Dalembert has agreed to terms on a one-year, $1.4 million veteran’s minimum contract with the Dallas Mavericks, according to Yahoo Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski. Dalembert, 34, will have an opportunity to contribute to a Dallas team that is in desperate need of help in the frontcourt after failing to get prized free agent DeAndre Jordan to sign on the dotted line despite a verbal agreement. The Mavs also lost last season’s starter, Tyson Chandler, who accepted a deal to join the Phoenix Suns. During the 2013-14 season, Dalembert played 80 games for the Mavericks and head coach Rick Carlisle, averaging 6.6 points and 6.8 rebounds. This season, Dallas will call upon Dalembert along with Zaza Pachulia, who was acquired from the Milwaukee Bucks, to play the majority of the minutes at center. Dalembert, who will be entering his 14th NBA season, played two seasons for Seton Hall (1990-00 and 2000-01). He was a member of the Pirates 2000 Sweet Sixteen team and is one of the most notable players in the program’s history. Dalembert ended his career at Seton Hall as the team’s leader in blocks (167) and second in field-goal percentage (.537). On June 22, 2015, Dalembert was inducted into the Seton Hall Athletics Hall of Fame. The former-Pirate was the 26th pick of the 2001 NBA draft by the Philadelphia 76ers. He appeared in 32 games for the New York Knicks last season prior to being waived. Matthew Zeigafuse can be reached at matthew.zeigafuse@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @mattzeigafuse.