Pirates continue to win athletically and academically

[caption id="attachment_10373" align="aligncenter" width="626"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   5.28.2015 UPDATE: It was announced on Thursday that five Seton Hall sports teams earned a perfect score in the latest multi-year Academic Progress Rate (APR). In addition, 12 of the university’s 14 varsity programs had “scores higher than the national average in sports,” according to a SHU press release. This report includes data from the 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2013-14 academic years. Eight of the 14 teams (baseball, men’s basketball, women’s cross country, women’s golf, men’s soccer, softball, women’s swimming and diving and women’s tennis) either equaled or surpassed their previous high APR score. Six teams (baseball, men’s basketball, women’s cross country, women’s golf, softball and women’s tennis) led the Big East with their APR marks. Five programs scored a perfect 1000 and four more scored 990 or above, “which means that 64 percent of The Hall’s varsity teams have either a perfect score or are within 10 points of a perfect score,” per the SHU release. This comes just a week after six Pirates athletics teams received public recognition for posting a multi-year APR in the top ten percent of their respective sports. END OF UPDATE.   The NCAA announced on Wednesday that a school-record six Seton Hall athletics programs have received public recognition for posting a multiyear Academic Progress Rate (APR) in the top 10 percent of their respective sports. Women’s golf, women’s tennis and softball all earned their third consecutive award while the baseball team notched its second. Women’s cross country was recognized for the first time ever, as was the men’s basketball team, one of only two basketball programs in the Metropolitan area to be honored. “We are so incredibly proud of our six varsity programs who have worked hard to reach the upper echelon of their respective sports when it comes to commitment in the classroom,” Seton Hall Vice President and Director of Athletics & Recreation Pat Lyons said. “We as a department are very devoted to academic success, and we are proud that our student-athletes respond with hard work and dedication in their studies.” The APR tracks the academic progress of each scholarship athlete, accounting for eligibility, retention and graduation while providing a measure of each team’s cumulative academic success. SHU’s student-athletes had a cumulative GPA of 3.32 in the fall semester, the highest in school history. “We congratulate each of the teams and individual student-athletes for their dedication to academic success,” said NCAA President Mark Emmert in a press release. “This achievement demonstrates their hard work and the commitment of NCAA member schools to provide students with an opportunity to succeed academically and athletically.” Less than two years ago, Seton Hall built the Charles W. Doehler Academic Center for Excellence, a learning center for student-athletes that features a main study area, group meeting spaces and private tutoring rooms. The Academic Support staff also tutors and mentors student-athletes. “We're so very proud of this achievement, with a record number of our programs earning this recognition,” Director of Academic Support Services Matt Geibel said. “This is another example of how our student-athletes continue to excel academically.” Geibel also added that more than 75 percent of student-athletes at Seton Hall earn spots on their sports’ Big East All-Academic team and more than half of them land on the dean's list. Thomas Duffy can be reached at thomas.duffy@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @TJDhoops.