Baseball drops first game against Nova

[caption id="attachment_10243" align="aligncenter" width="648"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Pirates lost the first game of a three-game series against Villanova, 7-5 on Friday. The offense was firing for the blue and white, scoring five runs on nine hits. Sophomore Joe Poduslenko finished the day with two hits in four at-bats and drove in two runs, including one in the Pirates’ three-run second inning. The starter was sophomore left-hander Anthony Pacillo. He had a rough outing, giving up five runs on seven hits in only two and two-thirds innings with three strikeouts. Pacillo’s replacement, freshman right-hander Matt Leon, fared better, going four and two-thirds while allowing two runs on four hits with three strikeouts. Junior outfielder Derek Jenkins brought in two with a two-run single in the fourth inning, giving the blue and white the lead. Sal Annunziata also had two hits in four at-bats. He scored the tying run for the Hall in the second. Junior infielder Chris Chiaradio was active today, finishing with two hits in only three at-bats while also scoring two runs. The Pirates were in control early, scoring three runs in the second and another one in the top of the third to lead 4-1. The Wildcats went on to score four runs in the bottom of the third and never trailed the rest of the game. The winning pitcher for the Wildcats was Hunter Schryver, who went six innings. He allowed five runs on eight hits with four strikeouts. The Wildcats ended the game with 12 hits with help from Emmanuel Morris, who had two hits in three at-bats while driving in two runs. The Pirates will play a double header with Nova tomorrow on the road. The first game is set to start at 12:30 p.m.   Javon Glenn can be reached at javon.glenn@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @javong25.