Doell, Kruse bring home Big East hardware for second straight year

[caption id="attachment_10156" align="aligncenter" width="727"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   It was announced on Thursday that Seton Hall women’s golf coach Sara Doell was named as the Big East Coach of the Year for the second straight season. Senior Ali Kruse was also named to the Women's Golf All-Big East First Team for a second straight year. "I am honored to be recognized again by a group of coaches whom I respect so much," Doell said. "Coach Brophy and Coach Elfers were certainly worthy of this award as well, especially considering just how close this year's championship was. Our ladies have worked so hard this year and I'm proud to be able to share in some of their success." For a third straight season, Kruse led the Pirates with the lowest scoring average for the academic year. The junior played in all 10 tournaments and notched four top-10 finishes. Kruse tied for first with her teammate Erin McClure at the Rio Verde Invitational in mid-March with a season-best 2-over-par, 72-74-72-218. Earlier in the month, she tied for 14th at the Kiawah Island Spring Classic, the largest tournament in the country with 212 individuals, with a 4-over-par, 74-73-73-220. Most recently, she helped guide the Pirates to their second straight Big East championship with a fourth-place tie at 12-over-par with a 76-74-78-228. A three-time All-Big East Academic Team member, Kruse holds Seton Hall’s career records for most tournaments, rounds, top-10 finishes, top-five finishes and scoring average for golfers with more than one year. She also holds the records for lowest three-round par-72 score and lowest par-72 single round. Those joining Kruse on the 2015 All-Big East Team are Butler's Jenna Peters, Georgetown's Jacquelyn Eeely, St. John's Anna Kim and Xavier's Shane Crutchfield. Kruse and the rest of the Pirates will return to action next week when they head to the 2015 NCAA Raleigh Regional Championship in Raleigh, N.C., from May 7-9. It will be the Pirates' second straight trip to the national event.