Yes, discrimination exists, now let’s stop it

As this is the last paper of the semester, The Setonian would like to discuss an important issue that has been emerging in our country and to call on the millennial generation to put a stop to it: discrimination. Whether it be gender, racial or religious mistreatment, there is no denying our nation is not perfect.

An article this week, written by Leah Carton, highlights the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Leadership Program’s efforts to bring awareness and education to younger students, as we are the ones to make the change. The disruptive conflicts over same-sex marriage and police brutality are just some of the many debates over how this country deals with minorities.

Innocent people have been discriminated against for too long and it is just now being brought to light. Riots in Baltimore have erupted as a reaction to the unexplained death of Freddie Gray after he was hauled off into a police van. While looting and arson is never the answer, as Dr. King, Jr., would have condemned as well, they may be seen as manifestations of the frustration many people feel at what has been happening in our society.

Until everyone admits that there is a problem and vows to end it, we cannot move forward. And it is not going to change simply by saying “I have an African American or gay friend, so I am not prejudiced.” No. It is by saying that there are unequal employment rates. According to the 2013 employment report by The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the percentage of white men making 70K or higher is at 48.4 percent while only 6.1 percent of black men received as much. For white women it was at 21.2 percent and for black women 5.5 percent.

That is a serious gap. It also will change by saying there is a problem with how police handle minorities. According to the NAACP, African Americans are incarcerated six times as much as whites. They also reported that 14 million whites admit to using illicit drugs while only 2.6 million African Americans do. However, African Americans are sent to prison for drug offenses 10 times more often than whites. The facts are, and always have been, here. We cannot deny them anymore.

Author: Editorial Board

1 Comment

1. I don’t get it. What on Earth is it about law-abiding, taxpaying adult Gay couples getting married that terrifies so many people? These are couples who are in love, who have made a commitment to one another’s happiness and well-being. These are couples who in most cases already share a life together. Unless the Constitution (especially the 14th Amendment) applies only to people who are Straight (i.e. heterosexual), I can see no justification for denying law-abiding, taxpaying Gay couples the same legal benefits and opportunities that Straight couples have always taken for granted.

What are people so fearful of? The marriage equality movement was never some sinister effort to make homosexuality compulsory for everyone. It won’t cause otherwise Straight people to marry other persons of the same sex. It will not require anyone to attend weddings for Gay couples. Conversely, denying Gay people the right to marry is not going to make Gay people turn Straight!

Is not love and commitment far more preferable to loneliness and promiscuity? I thought getting married was far preferable to just shacking up together. Why does the joy of Gay couples getting married make so many people angry?

Post a Reply