SHU women diplomats look to build network

[caption id="attachment_10082" align="aligncenter" width="407"]Courtsey of Kathrine  Wolchko The WDLP participants pose for a picture during a panel discussion. Courtsey of Kathrine Wolchko
The WDLP participants pose for a picture during a panel discussion.[/caption] The Women of Diplomacy Leadership Program (WDLP) is a Seton Hall program that works to empower female leaders within the School of Diplomacy through cultivating their professional identities and fostering relationships with established women in the field, according to the Seton Hall website. WDLP prides itself on building a strong sense of community within the female student body by connecting them with women successful in their fields who can give them professional guidance, said Katherine Wolchko, the WDLP president and a sophomore diplomacy and international relations major.   They also hold events that forward its message about empowering women. “The events that we hold try to encompass some form of professional guidance and knowledge sharing,” said Wolchko. For example, WDLP held a “Women in International Relations” panel last February that detailed the significant accomplishments made by Seton Hall’s own Diplomacy faculty. The panel worked to open up more opportunities for young women in the field of international relations. “It did a great job in not only opening up avenues of interest for young women in the field of IR, but to also alleviate some of the tensions that come with post-grad job searching,” said Wolchko. Wolchko said the panel wanted to send the message to young women to strive for success and that with determination and passion, anything is accomplishable. According to the Seton Hall website, WDLP also holds a mentorship program that recently launched, which it uses to match women in the field of international relations with Seton Hall students. The program is small, said Wolchko, but is set up for optimal growth and development. “We received applications for mentees and gathered a select pool of mentors who are established women in their field of IR and (the team) matched those whom we felt would work together accordingly,” Wolchko said. “So far, all three pairings (we’ve made) are doing wonderfully and have great experiences to share.” Next semester, the program hopes to expand its mentee pool as well as start a blog and newsletter to share the experiences of these mentees so that other students can learn more about the program, Wolchko said. Julia Mullaney can be reached at julia.mullaney@student.shu.edu.