Calming choir concert before finals storm

The Seton Hall Choir plans to present the spring concert on Thursday, April 30, at 7:30 p.m. at the South Orange Performing Arts Center. The choral program will sing the works from composers like Eric Whitacre, David Stanley York, Johann Sebastian Bach and Karl Jenkins. They will also perform with the Adelphi Chamber Orchestra and guest soloists. “The choir concert is a great chance to support fellow students,” said Dr. Jason Tramm, the director of choral activities. “I love when people come to these events for the first time and get excited about the music.” This production is the first program which will consist of performances from varying works with a variety of talent amongst the choir and orchestra, according to Dr. Tramm. “Music has the ability to unite the hearts of people and so I think the Seton Hall spring choir concert will be a great way to bring together people from our university who are interested in music,” said Feba Samji, a junior biology major. The concert will share the stage with the best choirs in the country while introducing talented Seton Hall students who have worked for months to put this concert together, Tramm said. “I think big events, especially concerts like the SHU choir concert, would attract people because people love music,” said John Velazuez, a junior diplomacy and international relations major. According to Dr. Tramm, through the planning and putting together of this choir concert, students learned a lot and it’s always exciting for them to grow into musicians and artists. The collaboration with the Adelphi Chamber Orchestra and Seton Hall’s choir will create a distinguishable and enjoyable night for those who attend, said Tramm. The Adelphi Orchestra is a nonprofit known for performing at prestigious venues and working with talented musicians. The orchestra offers symphony and concert programs in northern New Jersey and New York to entertain and educate. “Finals are coming and it’s a lot of stress, but I think sometimes students need to relax before they spend hours studying so I think attending a choir concert would be the best way, especially if it’s right next to campus,” said Meha Vikram, a junior social and behavioral sciences major. “I definitely hope I can go because I love good music.” Nisha Desai can be reached at nisha.desai@ student.shu.edu.