Walkden sets HR mark as softball bests Butler

[caption id="attachment_10041" align="aligncenter" width="716"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Seton Hall Pirates softball team swept a crucial double-header against the Butler Bulldogs on Sunday afternoon. The Pirates won the first game by a score of 5-4 and the second game, 6-5 in thrilling fashion. Danielle DeStaso got the start of the second game and she did not fail to deliver in the big game. She pitched 6.1 innings and only allowed two runs and only one earned run. DeStaso now has a 10-12 record on the season. In the second game of the double header, the Pirates struck first scoring two runs in the top of the second inning off a two-run home run by Faith Laudano. Alexis Walkden then drove in two more runs in the top of the fifth with a single to center field. The Pirates took a 4-2 lead headed to the seventh inning. In the top of the inning, Walkden hit a two-run home run, her twentieth of the season, to give the Pirates a commanding 6-2 lead. Walkden, who now holds Seton Hall’s single season home run record, finished the game with 4 RBI’s. The Bulldogs did not go down easy as they put together a dangerous rally in the bottom of the seventh. Alyssa Lach hit a three-run home run to cut into the deficit. They still trailed by one run with no one out in the inning. After finally getting the first out, Danielle DeStaso came in to pitch for Lauren Fischer. After striking out her first batter and then allowing two baserunners, Fischer was able to strike out Krosely Ogden to end the game. The Pirates also took the first game of the double header winning 5-4. This was a milestone game for Pirates’ third baseman, Alexis Walkden, as she hit her nineteenth home run of the season which set the record for most home runs in a single season by a Seton Hall player. The Pirates’ starting pitcher for the first game was Lauren Fischer as she picked up her ninth win of the season, now with a 9-9 record. She allowed just two runs on seven hits in six innings of work. Danielle DeStaso pitched the final inning in relief to close out the game. The score was 1-1 in the top of the fourth inning when Faith Laudano hit a three-run home run to give the Pirates a 4-1 lead. The Pirates tacked on one more run in the fifth inning when Walkden hit a solo home run, which was her milestone dinger. Trailing 5-2 in the bottom of the seventh, the Bulldogs, much like the second game, did not go quietly. The Bulldogs were able to score two runs on two hits to make the score 5-4. DeStaso was able to shut the door to give the Pirates their first win of the afternoon. With the two wins by the Pirates today, they advance to a 22-25 overall record and an 8-9 conference record, which is good enough for third place in the Big East Conference. The Pirates next game is home this Tuesday at 4:00 p.m against Hofstra University.