Relay for Life makes strides

Amanda Boyer/Photography Editor

Amanda Boyer/Photography Editor

Amanda Boyer/Photography Editor

Amanda Boyer/Photography Editor

As the lights turned off and the glowing white bags lit the Field House during the luminaria ceremony, Eboni Retemiah knew Relay for Life was a success.

“Relay was so amazing this year,” said Retemiah, a senior nursing major and the chair of Relay for Life. “We had a wonderful time planning it and we’re happy to see so many people came out and enjoyed it.”

The event raked in over $41,000, according to Carolyn Galbo, a sophomore occupational therapy major and Relay for Life co-chair.

“The luminaria ceremony and silent lap in honor of those who have passed on from cancer were both everything I hoped they would be, respectful and beautiful,” said Galbo. “I am so pleased to have been a part of putting on this event and I am so grateful and overjoyed that the night went so well.”

Over 900 participants came out to raise money for the event, hosted by the Colleges Against Cancer club in collaboration with the American Cancer Society.

“We had our two survivor speakers Sierra Spriggs and Jocelyn Alfrande,” said Retemiah. “They both shared their amazing stories battling cancer and we couldn’t be more thankful for them because Relay is about celebrating those who have won their battle to cancer.”

Entertainment was provided during the 12 hour fundraiser. Students danced, did Zumba and participated in a hypnotist show during the night.

Also, Greek life wrapped up their Greek Week with performances, Greek God and Goddess announcements and their stroll competition.

Rebecca White can be reached at

Author: Rebecca White

Rebecca White is from Orange County, California and is a senior majoring in Communication. She started out as the Pirate Life Copy Editor her sophomore year, worked her way up to Assistant Pirate Life Editor her junior year, and enters her senior year as Pirate Life Editor. She has been on the Dean’s List every semester and will graduate a semester early in December 2016. During her time at Seton Hall she has interned for CNBC and, an entertainment site where she coordinates the celebrity interviews. She aspires to be a novelist while working in the publishing industry, either as a book editor or magazine editor.