Softball wins in walk-off fashion in Game 1 of doubleheader

[caption id="attachment_9898" align="aligncenter" width="789"] Joey Khan/Staff Photographer[/caption]   The Pirates in dramatic fashion on Tuesday, beating Drexel on a play with two errors in game 1 of a doubleheader against the Dragons. Alexis Walkden was on second with no outs in the bottom of the seventh when Sara Haefeli hits a ground ball to the shortstop. Drexel shortstop threw into to right field trying to throw out Walkden at second. Then the right fielder threw it to third trying throw out Walkden. Next, the third basemen tried to throw out Haefeli going to second and threw into to right field allowing Walkden to score from third. The Hall (18-24, 6-8) trailed 5-3 going into the bottom of the seventh after Sylvia Llamas hit a three-run home run in the top of the seventh to give the Dragons the lead. To start off the seventh, Yasmin Harrell got an infield single. Whitney Jones drove her in with an RBI double and Walkden drove in Jones with an RBI single, and advanced to second when the Dragons attempted to throw out Jones at home. In the bottom of the sixth, Alex Rabbetts hit a solo home run to left center to give the pirates a 3-2 lead. It was Rabbets third home run of the season. Jones ended up going 2-4 for the game with 1 extra base hit. Lauren Fischer pitched 5 1/3 innings allowing four runs. Casey Moses gave up the home run to Llamas, and ended up getting the win. DeStaso was unavailable to play in game 1 of the doubleheader due to class. Taylor Lee pitched the entire game against the Hall and ended up with the loss when the Drexel didn’t record an out in the bottom of the seventh. The Pirates take the field again on Thursday in a single game matchup against Stony Brook.