Signing Day Central: Players commit to Seton Hall

National Signing Day. A day when young high school basketball players across the country choose where they are going to play. Countless kids, somewhere between the ages of 17 and 19 and graced with physical gifts like few others, make what could arguably be the biggest decision of their lives. Those kids include Dalton Soffer, Amarveer Singh and Myles Carter. The latter two, joining Soffer, formally became a part of the Seton Hall family on Wednesday when they signed their National Letters of Intent. “We are very excited to welcome Amarveer and Myles into our family,” head coach Kevin Willard said in a press release Wednesday. “They are both very talented and terrific young men coming from outstanding high schools and AAU programs who will fit in well on our team and will be able to contribute both on and off the court.” With all three players’ commitment to the blue and white now official, here is a breakdown of each so that the Seton Hall faithful can get familiar: Dalton Soffer: ???????????????????????????????A shooting guard all the way from San Diego, Calif., Soffer was the first member of the Hall’s incoming class to commit. He did so back in December. A composite two-star recruit, the Poway High School product had previously committed to Loyola before changing his mind and deciding on SHU. "We're really pleased to add a player like Dalton," Willard said after Soffer signed his letter of intent. "His ability to shoot the ball fits perfectly in our system and we think he'll be an asset to the program." He was also offered by Boston University, Bucknell, Pennsylvania and Loyola. At 6-foot, 4-inches and 190 pounds, Soffer brings length and a soft three-point touch to South Orange. He is all but certain to come off the bench as a freshman, but his accuracy from downtown could make him a threat in a reserve role. According to ESPN Insider (subscription required), his mechanics have few flaws. “He is always on balance when releasing his shot and his release is smooth,” the site’s scouting report reads. While the shot may be there, ESPN also points out that Soffer lacks when it comes to physicality and may have trouble with faster players guarding him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8H_iilcbBc Amarveer Singh: singhSingh, who goes by Veer, is Seton Hall’s only local recruit in the 2015 class. A 6-foot, 7-inch, 180 pound small forward, Singh attended high school at New Jersey’s St. Peter’s Prep. Originally slated to be a part of the 2016 class, he was able to get enough credits to graduate in time for the upcoming college season. A composite three-star player, he received serious interest from Cincinnati, Oregon State, Penn State, Rutgers, South Florida, Temple and Villanova, among other schools. Ultimately, Singh decided to stay in the area because his mother had recently moved to the Garden State. Singh said one of the reasons he specifically picked Seton Hall was because he was already familiar with some of his new teammates. “I feel like I fit in well with the guys,” Singh told Evan Daniels of ScoutHoops.com when he verbally committed. “Angel Delgado has known me since I was a 6-foot, 160-pound freshman. He’s always been around. Khadeen (Carrington) has been there as well from the lightning.” With a strong shot from the field and from three and a high motor, Singh should see his fair share of minutes on the wings of Seton Hall’s offense. In the meantime, he will look to bulk up in the weight room and improve his ball handling skills. “Veer is a highly skilled and talented wing and has developed into a dynamic playmaker,” Willard said in the press release. “He has a strong ability to shoot the basketball and is also a very good passer. He not only comes from a terrific high school basketball program, but he also played for a great AAU team in the New York Lightning.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXp3c_imCkA Myles Carter: ??????????At 6-foot, 9-inches and 220 pounds, Carter, a three-star power forward, will provide the Pirates with some much needed assistance in the frontcourt this coming season. Outside of rising sophomore Angel Delgado, the Hall struggled with consistency in the interior last year. Carter’s size and athleticism should be able to help with that on both sides of the floor and he could even see time as a starter with Brandon Mobley having graduated. “Myles is a high-energy and talented big man with tremendous upside,” Willard said in the release. “He has played at top tier programs at St. Rita’s and MeanStreets, and his experience competing at a high level will serve him well on this team and competing in the Big East.” Carter, who played at St. Rita of Cascia High School in Chicago, Ill., turned down Bradley and DePaul, both hometown schools. He was also offered by Providence, VCU and Xavier. After verbally committing to Seton Hall, Carter told The Setonian that he picked the New Jersey university after he got a feel for how Willard ran things. “He (Willard) basically lets you know you’re going to work,” Carter said in March. “I’ve seen the way he pushes them in practice and everything like that. You know, that’s what I want; to get better. Playing for Coach Willard I’ll get better. He pushes you and he’s going to make you an all-around better person too.” With three players now committed, Seton Hall has one scholarship remaining for the 2015-16 season.   Gary Phillips can be reached at gary.phillips@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @GPhillips2727.