Novelist, short story writer to read at SHU

[caption id="attachment_9813" align="alignnone" width="250"] photo courtesy of shu.edu[/caption] Seton Hall University welcomes acclaimed short story writer and novelist Sam Lipsyte, who will have a reading on campus today, April 16. The Poetry-in-the-Round (PITR) reading series invites some of the most celebrated writers to Seton Hall University every year, where they read and discuss their works with members of the Seton Hall community. Today, Lipsyte, who is also a professor at Columbia University, will be reading some of his best works as part of the series from 7 to 8:30 p.m. “I want to bring the best contemporary writers to campus and I'm especially interested in those writers who I think will connect with our students,” said Nathan Oates, the PITR director. “Sam Lipsyte is one of the smartest, funniest, most interesting writers at work today.” Oates also credits Lipsyte’s local background for why he chose the writer. Lipsyte grew up in New Jersey and teaches in New York City. “He is a local writer that I hope the students will find interesting,” Oates said. The event will consist of Lipsyte reading his works and a Q&A session afterward. Lipsyte is not yet sure what readings he will be sharing during his appearance. “It will probably be either a story from my last collection or something newer that’s been published, not yet in book form,” Lipsyte said. “I tend to read more recent work.” Lipsyte also tends to read things that have not yet been published as a way of testing them out with readers and he hinted that that could be an option. Growing up, Lipsyte always had a passion for reading, which led to his writing career. “Eventually it became an obsession,” Lipsyte said. “I just knew I had to do it.” Readers can expect fictional stories to be read, since Lipsyte tends to focus more on fiction than nonfiction. He has done some dramatic writing and the occasional essay or book review as well. Lipsyte is the author of the short story collections “Venus Drive” and “The Fun Parts” and has also written three novels. His novel “Home Land” was a New York Times notable book. Lipsyte is also the recipient of the 2008 Guggenheim fellowship, which is awarded to those who have exhibited outstanding creative ability in the arts. Julia Mullaney can be reached at julia.mullaney@student.shu.edu.