Greek organizations suit up for Greek Week

[caption id="attachment_9786" align="alignnone" width="300"]Amanda Boyer/Photography Editor Amanda Boyer/Photography Editor. Greek organizations battled it out on the kickball field during Greek Week.[/caption] Seton Hall University’s annual Greek week was this week, from April 12-17 and it consists of a variety of competitive activities that Greek members take part in. Over the years, Greek Week has been successful in promoting Greek unity by mixing multicultural organizations with social organizations to work together as a team to win the prize at the end. “My goal is to have my organization become more familiar with the other Greek orgs on campus,” said Adam Torres, a freshman biology major and Greek Week representative for Psi Sigma Phi Multicultural Fraternity Incorporated. “PSP has recently come back onto campus and we want to maintain a good relationship with everyone. Our motto we have established is ‘We are multicultural and that includes everybody.’” The winning team receives $500 plus revenue earned during Greek Week activities. The money is split amongst each Greek organization composed in a team towards their philanthropy. Each Greek organization has been strategizing and composing teams for each activity over the past couple of weeks and they are anxious to see which team comes up the strongest. This year’s Greek Week’s theme is by era and there are five eras that the Greek organizations belong to. The 20’s era consists of Alpha Delta Chi, Lambda Theta Phi, Alpha Gamma Delta and Alpha Sigma Phi. The 50’s era consists of Alpha Kappa Alpha, Lambda Theta Alpha, Alpha Sigma Tau and Sigma Pi. The 70’s consists of Zeta Phi Beta, Lambda Tau Omega, Alpha Phi and Phi Kappa Theta. The 80’s consists of Phi Beta Sigma, Mu Sigma Epsilon, Delta Phi Epsilon and Zeta Psi. Each decade continues to compete in the final activities this week. The schedule was as follows: April 12 Kickball, April 13 Penny Wars and Crest Drawings, April 14 Greek Seasons, April 15 Talent Show, April 16 Family Feud and April 17 Relay for Life and Strolling. “I personally will be participating in the strolling competition and Relay for Life, but I'll be attending everything this week for support,” said Erin Lott, the chapter president for Alpha Omicron Pi and a junior mathematics major. “As an organization I'd like to see us put our best foot forward as a new organization competing in Greek Week for the first time. I'd also like to see the entire Greek community come together for a healthy competition to build Greek unity and to get to know each other more personally.” Not only are Greek organizations trying to win the grand prize, but they are also trying to develop a better idea and feel for Greek unity and are thrilled to be teaming with organizations other than their own. “I am participating in Relay for Life this upcoming Friday so that I can support the cause with my sisters and fellow Greeks, and I am definitely looking to become even closer to my own sisters within Alpha Sigma Tau,” said Marisa Gallagher, a sophomore chemistry major and member of Alpha Sigma Tau. “But I would also love to be able to make new connections with members of all of the other participating organizations.” All competitions are open to the SHU community for viewing and are not exclusive Greek events. Good luck to the SHU Greek community! Shaygne Rodriguez can be reached at shaygne.rodriguez@student.shu.edu.