‘Directions’ to survive the heartbreak

[caption id="attachment_9808" align="alignnone" width="300"]Photo courtesy of Modest Management. One Direction released their first promo photo without Zayn. Photo courtesy of Modest Management. One Direction released their first promo photo without Zayn.[/caption] Weeks later, One Direction fans are still heartbroken — and most people just don’t get it. If you’re like me, you probably didn’t find yourself teary eyed over the news of Zayn Malik’s departure from the world’s most popular boy-band, One Direction. Even though I may had been a fan of the band in its early days, from “The X-Factor,” the 1D-related news was merely surprising to me, rather than painful to hear. Yet, millions of gals and guys across the globe continue to mourn the exit of the band’s fifth member. In fact, heavy grieving over Zayn Malik resumed Monday night, when the band’s management released the group’s first official promo photo without Malik, #ZaynLess. Before you start over analyzing how a band can generate such a sentimental response or begin mocking the demeanor of its tween-based audience, consider some of the following pop culture experiences which may have wreaked havoc on your emotions at one time or another:

• SPORTS: With March Madness finally over, so are the crazy tensions and raging emotions that come with it. The 2015 tournament brought nothing short of disappointment, letdowns and sadness for fans like that of Wisconsin, following their tearful loss to Duke in the final matchup. Of course, such heartache is not limited to one sport. Besides there being videographic evidence, I can personally attest to knowing baseball fans from different states being distraught over Derek Jeter’s final game in his professional career, with many even weeping as he walked off the field for the last time. And I thought there was no crying in baseball…
  • TV: Between Papouli’s death in “Full House,” Rory and Jess’ final breakup in “Gilmore Girls,” Marshall’s reaction to the news of his father’s passing on “How I Met your Mother” and when Mr. Feeny dismisses his class for the last time in “Boy Meets World,” iconic yet heartbreaking TV moments like these left viewers in need to recover emotionally for hours — sometimes days, speaking for myself at least. I’m not even going to start on the final scene in “Friends.”
  • MUSIC: One word- ‘NSYNC. To this day, I can still recall the anguish I felt when the boy band of my childhood and generation broke up. It was a sadness worse than that of when I learned one of the band members, Lance Bass, was gay (He may or may not have been my favorite, okay). In fact, the news surrounding 1D reignited these feelings all over again.
The point is, even if you don’t understand the current hysteria amidst One Direction’s massive fan base, we can all relate to their heartache in some way whether you’ll admit or not.   So, stay strong Directioners! One day, all of it will come to an end. “This, I Promise You.” Natalie Rebisz can be reached at natalie.rebisz@student.shu.edu.