SHU turns attention to climate change

Climate change is a controversial and complex topic. To better understand how this issue is impacting our society, Seton Hall’s Journal of Diplomacy and International Relations hosted Dr. D. James Baker, Director of the Land, Forest, & Carbon Measurement Program at the Clinton Foundation, on April 8. As one of the most widely published scientists in the world, Dr. Baker is no amateur when it comes to the environment; he was the Administrator of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) during the Bill Clinton administration, a Harvard professor on oceanography and was the Undersecretary of Commerce. Baker not only discussed his diverse career, but also his contribution to the upcoming issue of the journal, which will focus solely on climate change. Matthew Mitchell, a second year graduate student and Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Diplomacy and International Relations, said this issue, available at the event, is concentrating on climate change because of the grave implications it has for the environment and society. “The loss of habitable land, arable soil and natural landscapes for future generations to utilize is one downside, but the mass displacement effect on vulnerable populations, food shortages and negative economic ramifications is another reason why climate change is so important,” said Mitchell. The journal brings a guest speaker to campus each spring, and according to Mitchell, they will host another one, possibly even as soon as fall 2015. The journal publishes twice a year and is completely staffed by graduate students of the School of Diplomacy. According to William Golba, the Deputy Editor-in-Chief, the journal is a “well-respected academic journal” that “develops themes, evaluates them and edits submissions from leading experts in the field.” Golba said previous issues of the journal focused on the economic aspects of international relations, the foreign policy strategies of authoritarian states, the rising influence of middle power states and the changing nature of conflict in the 21st century. On top of producing an issue twice a year, the journal also has a blog in which students can write their opinions on current events. For more information you can view their blog at http://blogs.shu.edu/diplomacy/. Mackenzie Scibetta can be reached at mackenzie.scibetta@student.shu.edu.