Don your mask, unveil history Haitian Organization Promoting Education to host 9th annual masquerade ball

The Haitian Coat of Arms reads: “L'Union Fait La Force" which translates to "Union Makes Strength." The Haitian Organization Promoting Education (HOPE) group seeks to embody strength and unity. The HOPE organization will be holding its 9th annual Masquerade Ball on Sunday April 10 at 8 p.m. The ball celebrates the 10th anniversary of the HOPE organization at Seton Hall. It is a black and white masquerade event, open to all students. Nethaniah Josma, senior economics major and president of HOPE, explains that the event will be filled with excitement. “It is a social event that will highlight key parts of the Haitian culture and reflect on the things HOPE has done on and off-campus,” said Josma. The event seeks to provide a fun and informative experience that revolves around the culture of Haiti. Isadorah Plaisimond, a senior majoring in diplomacy and economics is the vice president of HOPE. The masquerade ball features a unity of all cultures to “collaborate with other student organizations in order to create a multicultural ambiance all the while concentrating on Haiti’s essence,” said Plaisimond. The ball will be preceded by a week of fun and culturally relevant events; the week has been appropriately deemed “Haiti Week.” On Tuesday, April 7, the program will focus on what makes Haiti beautiful and an appealing tourist destination, according to Josma. It will be held in the Beck Rooms at 8 p.m. On Wednesday, April 8, there will be an interesting discussion on the ongoing tension between Haiti and the Dominican Republic in A&S 109 at 8:30 p.m. On Thursday, April 9, the Evolution of Dance & Music in Haiti will be highlighted in the Beck Rooms at 8 p.m. The week will conclude with the ball. With the black-and-white dress code, awards will be given to best dressed male and female, according to Josma. New to the organization, Giovanni Paul, a freshman special and elementary education major, expressed enthusiasm for the anticipated event. “It will be a night that is full of great music, food, performances and company,” said Paul. “Every year the HOPE Ball has been memorable and I’m sure that this year’s ball will be our best one yet because we have worked so hard to ensure an unforgettable night.” The doors will open for the event at 7:30 p.m. in the Main Lounge and students can purchase tickets for $10 online at 9thHOPEBall.eventbrite.com. The HOPE organization embodies not only the Haitian motto, but the University’s ideal of community and utilizes a smaller student body to come together in unity. Kelly Zarnowski can be reached at kelly. zarnowski@student.shu.edu.